24 November 2011

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I decided to write a ridiculously long post. Fortunately, I've mapped out sections, so you don't have to read everything if you don't want to.

1. Music
2. My personal life
3. Views on the word "queer" (because some discussions have presented themselves)

MUSIC

You must listen to Zoe Keating and Tracy Chapman immediately. Zoe Keating plays cello on a loop. Beautiful, mystical. I love her. I want to see her live. I especially like "sun will set" (video).


I'm also crazy into Tracy Chapman right now. She sings my life. My life. The good, the bad, the philosophies, the insecurities. She inspires me. My favourites are "Broken" and "Happy"


These are on repeat in my car right now. true story.


MY PERSONAL LIFE
meh I waited until the end to write this one, so I'm tired. I love my work. I love my work family. I get lots of hugs!! It's the best--because wow, if I didn't, I'd probably go a wee bit crazy(er) than usual. But now I'm trying to find motivation to work out and to pay for things that matter, like bills and medicine rather than socks. Although one could argue that socks matter.

Since it is Thanksgiving, I'm especially reminded of my gifts. I've been given working legs, a working brain, food for my stomach, my own room and bed, a loving cat, excellent friends who truly care about me, a job, a bottle of Gluehwein for Christmas time, books, a computer, a family that loves me very much, and a sense of humor to get me through the tough times. 

I'll update this more later. How about we do this: ask three questions. I'll answer honestly. :)


VIEWS ON THE WORD QUEER
People have heard me use the word queer, and they're surprised by it. To most, queer has been only used in derogatory ways. and that's true. but it's also true that the gay community is reclaiming the word. Queer Studies can be studied at many universities. the glbtQa (gay lesbian bisexual transgender queer and ally) community uses queer as a catch-all to include the non-specified members. Consult this site for more information on the queer terms. Long story short: I have no qualms with the word queer. I like using it in a standard context. Obviously, I don't approve of its derogatory use, but I approve of its normal use.

Pay particular attention to the term "pansexual;" it's how I identify myself. In my book, it also includes the way I love someone. When I look for a partner, I look for personality characters, not physical ones. That's why I consider myself pansexual as opposed to bisexual. But that's personal preference (people have disagreed with me before).

I'm also making an effort not to use the term "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" (unless specified by the opposite party), instead using the word "partner." That gets tricky though, doesn't it? Because partner sounds more serious than b/g-friend. Partner implies a long-term commitment. Tricksy.

No comments:

Post a Comment